Friday, March 12, 2010

is it really the ipod?


I was meaning to write about this yesterday night, but I got lazy and knocked out of tiredness. I'll start out by explaining exactly what happened before, after, and during the event. This post might feel sort of all over the place, and if it does, I apologize.

First of all, the night before it happened was hell for me. I had a lot of homework, on top of the usual was an extra assignment for me to organize my binder for History. Like every other night, I didn't get everything that I want to finish finished, so I go to bed that night with my math homework neglected. The next day in first period, I tried to do my math homework ever-so-steathily while my teacher was doing lecture. I pulled out my iPod and started using the calculator so I could do my math properly. Out of nowhere my teacher goes down my row while doing some explanation and I frantically try to hide my iPod. But to no avail. She had taken it away, for the rest of the day. To be quite honest, I died a little bit inside. I made a decision that I was going to try and get it at break, which was the time she told me she was going to take it down to the VP's office. My next class dragged on and I went to her class in hopes of getting my iPod back. I follow her down to the VP and was told that I HAD to get it after school. And again, I die a bit more.

But while there, a teacher I don't know said to me, "I know students who are losing their JOB because they are on their electronics too much." At which point, a swarm of thoughts entered my head. I thought about how that wasn't my case. That I was using it as a calculator for homework and not playing games in the back corner of the room. Though I do admit I should not have been doing homework for another class in the first place, it's still wrong. At least in my case. I could tell you the reason why I was so devastated. Music, music, and music. During most of the school day, I always try to listen to music as much as I can, whenever I can. Knowing the fact that I wouldn't have it for the rest of the day frightened me. I could care less if it my iPod. Because confiscating my iPod is also taking away my music. Something I can't live without, something that helps me through the day. The only purpose of my iPod at school is for music. Anywhere else, it's everything it can be.

At the same time, through this experienced, I surprised myself. Because I realized that a few years ago, I wasn't even that much into music. A few years ago, I could avoid music for a whole week and be perfectly fine. And now I know that I've morphed into some kind of music addict. Haha. My newfound love for music is only at its beginning point. I don't know where it'll take me, if ever. But I've learned that it's something I heavily, heavily depend on in life.

1 comment:

  1. Lived without an ipod for 6 months. Twice.
    Get a calculator, fool!

    ReplyDelete