Friday, February 5, 2010

the big question.


If anyone asks me what I would want to be when I grow up, I could honestly say that it would be an extremely tough question to answer. I would either not answer it at all, or just reply with an "I don't know." That point in life seems so far right now, but at the same time it seems like its just around the corner. I honestly do not know what I want to be when it comes to pursuing a career. I'm not very aware of my talents, so trying to figure out a career with that is virtually hopeless. I do however, know my interests, but I don't know if following that career will suffice in the future.

My parents have a good idea of what they want me to be career-wise, and they've been constantly reminding me from time to time. They want me to be a nurse. When I first heard of the idea, I quietly laughed to myself because it was so stereotypical. I've heard of almost every Filipino parent wanting their kids to go into the medical field. Whether it be a nurse, doctor, pharmacist, whatever. But the thing is, I'm not very fond of.. medical related work. It just doesn't seem to be my thing.

I feel like I have nothing to aspire for when it comes to my future. I tend to live too much in the present, and seldom think about what and where I would be in a couple of years. The thought of that scares me. No matter how much I try and avoid it now, it's going to be inevitable. So for the rest of high school, I want to find a career to pursue. One I can set my sights on. Because now, I need a dream.

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way France. My parents want me to be a doctor as well. I have a vague interest in the medical field, but there are other things I am interested in or have considered, such as psychology or something in the culinary field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend is in the Philippines right now to become a nurse LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyways, a more constructive comment:
    That question is almost impossible to answer even if you were in college. Your path constantly changes whether its availability/possibility, or just shift of preference/interest. Wow that sounded really weird.. but yeah.
    Only suggestion I have is to think about what you'd really enjoy doing that can provide a reasonable income. And think wide. You don't always have to target one thing. Like right now, I have about 3-5 totally different careers in my consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://dongho1115.blogspot.com/2010/02/future.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I'm with Eunjin on this one, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete