Tuesday, September 20, 2011

[CE] France Bans Public Prayer

The idea of banning public prayer is to an extent, justified. Angela brings up the point that people have the freedom to assembly and rights but you have to think, just because that applies to the United States doesn't mean that it's the same thing in a different country. I don't know much about the French government but I do believe that they will have justifications on the ban. And as expected, most of the opposers are the ones who practiced before the ban.

The government has the right to regulate what they think may be [and I don't know if I'm using the right word] harmful to the public. It's not really much of a ban on public prayer, but more of a relocation. they didn't completely outlaw it but they basically said hey don't do in the street, just do it here. I don't think it would be too harmful to the Muslim community either. Personally I would be happier if it was just a relocation instead of a total ban. I would still get to do what I want to do, but just not at the same place. And it's not like their relocation is any worse than the streets either.

It may be controversial but I think it's justified to an extent. They're relocating them to a more proper mosque instead of the streets. It wasn't that 'controversial' of a decision in my opinion, it sounds like it's better off that way for both Muslims and French citizens.

1 comment: